Plantains are low-growing plants which can be found growing almost anywhere. They are used as medicinal herbs and actually, plantains are one of the best healing herbs on the planet. In many diverse cultures around the world, plantains have been used as food plants and healing herbs.
There are mainly two types of plantains, Plantago major are those with broad leaves, and Plantago lanceolata are those with narrow leaves. Both types are used for healing purposes, but herbalists prefer the broadleaf plantain.
Health Benefits Of Plantain
- Anti-inflammatory & analgesic
- Antimicrobial properties
- Prevent infections and accelerate healing
- Soothe insect bites and superficial wounds
- Helps with skin tissue regeneration
- Helps dry up secretions in the respiratory tract and the digestive system
- Useful in treating colds and diarrhea
- Rich in calcium and other minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin K
How To Collect Plantain Herb
Plantains have a weed status and in many areas are invasive. It’s better to gather them from wastelands in your area, but make sure the area is clean, and not chemically treated. You should be able to positively identify the correct plant.
They have characteristic flower stalks and that will help you identify plantain among other rosette-forming plants. However, they may not be present all the time, so you should get the help of a knowledgeable person.
It is best to pick just the leaves because they are mainly used for herbal preparations.
Avoid digging out the entire plant, instead pinch off unblemished leaves, selecting slightly mature ones over the very tender leaves.
How To Use Plantain For Healing
- Burns. Immediately apply a poultice and a bandage with leaves. Next, protect the skin with a plantain salve.
- Cuts and Open Sores. Apply crushed plantain leaves in your fresh cuts and stop the bleeding in a second. To prevent infections and promote healing wash with plantain tea or diluted tincture.
- Boils and Acne. Apply salve or a drop of tincture.
- Dandruff and Other Scalp Problems. Apply oil infusion or plantain tea to the scalp. Wash off after an hour.
- To Improve Liver and Kidney Function. Every day drink 1-2 glasses of plantain tea.
- For Cold, Flu, and Respiratory Infections. Drink freshly brewed warm tea with honey. Also, you can take the tincture under the tongue.
How To Make Plantain Tea
You will need:
- Fresh plantain leaves – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
Heat-proof bowl with fitting lid
- Put the plantain leaves in a bowl with a lid after you’ve washed them thoroughly.
- Next, boil the water and pour over the leaves in the bowl. Cover with the lid and let them steep.
- Strain out the tea. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
To control diarrhea or to get relief from the symptoms of cold and fever, drink 1-2 cups of plantain tea. You can add honey for taste and this tea can be used as a general tonic too.