Those of you who are into superfood have probably heard about spirulina, blue-green algae which grows around the world. There is an endless number of reasons you should eat this freshwater plant in its final form of spirulina.
It is completely safe and you should be taking a spoonful of it every day. It has an incredibly powerful nutritional profile and more than 1,200 scientific articles have revealed its wide range of health benefits. Spirulina’s color is the result of a specific pigment known as phycocyanin. This pigment is also primarily responsible for spirulina’s health benefits.
A spoonful of spirulina a day can benefit you and here is how:
A POWERFUL ENERGY BOOST
These days, most people could use an extra boost of energy. Spirulina contains many nutrients which can naturally increase energy levels. Dr. Oz, a celebrity physician who we all know, said that the mixture of spirulina and lime juice helps to unlock sugar from our cells to boost metabolic energy.
SUPPORTING BRAIN HEALTH
According to researchers, taking a spoonful of spirulina per day can help protect the brain from degenerative diseases. Moreover, this practice helps sharpen your mind and increase productivity and focus and decrease ADHD symptoms.
IMPROVING MUSCLE STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE
Consuming plant foods that are rich in antioxidants such as spirulina can prevent fatigue in muscles or limit the damage. Also, it is beneficial for improving muscle strength and endurance.
LOWERING BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
A research in which 25 patients with type 2 diabetes took 2g of spirulina each day for 2 months, showed that thanks to that practice those patients experienced significantly lowered blood sugar levels.
REDUCING BLOOD PRESSURE
Spirulina offers antihypertensive effects. With this being said, spirulina helps to lower blood pressure.
Other benefits of spirulina:
- Decreasing the risk of stroke
- Fighting liver disease
- Supporting weight loss
- Fighting PMS
- An ideal non-meat, plant-based protein source
- Eliminating candida
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowering the risk of cancer
HOW TO USE SPIRULINA
It is simple because you can mix it into various foods or just mix a spoonful into a glass of water. Adding it to a smoothie, soup, fruit juice, can be a great way to take advantage of its many benefits.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Combine spirulina powder with some garlic, dried mixed herbs and nutritional yeast to create your own seasoning blend.
- Add a half-teaspoon of spirulina to a glass of unsweetened almond milk. For a sweet taste add raw honey. This almond energy drink it helps increase your energy levels and you’ll feel revitalized.
- Healthy snacks are very important and you should always have them with you when you are on the go. Energy bites will help you keep the energy and prevent the temptation to turn to junk food.
Try this simple spirulina energy bites recipe
- 20 Medjool dates pitted
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, + 1/4 cup for coating
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and mix them until they become sticky. Form 1″ balls with the dough and roll them in the remaining coconut flakes to coat. Enjoy!