Who knew that onion is such a powerful remedy?! I am using it in almost every meal preparation, but I didn’t know it could be so healing.
Well, I didn’t until I read my grandma’s handwritten remedy book.
She says you can use onion as a natural remedy for almost anything. Through laugh, she says “you hated onions when you were a kid and now you ask how to prepare it for remedy? Who would have thought”.
And she is right I didn’t like onions. At all! Now I like it in every meal, and absolutely love it as a remedy.
I will share with you a few recipes in a minute. First, I would like to give you some facts about why onion is so healing.
Onions are rich in nutritional value, low in calories, and contain carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fiber, vitamin C, B1, B6, B9, manganese, potassium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron. In addition, onions contain lower concentrations of zinc, selenium, vitamin K, choline, and other B vitamins.
Different types of onions contain over 25 other types of flavonoid antioxidants, the most famous and in the largest amount of which is quercetin (onion is the best source of this antioxidant).
These flavonoid antioxidants, rich in different types of onions, can reduce chronic inflammation through the fight against free radicals and act to more successfully reduce fat and blood cholesterol.
The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of onions can also reduce blood pressure, as well as prevent thrombosis. Several scientific studies provide data that support this.
Yes, onions can help with blood pressure and thrombosis!
We can make a really long list of onion benefits.
Onions are rich in prebiotics. The beneficial intestinal microflora can create short-chain fatty acids: acetate, propionate, and butyrate, from these prebiotics. Onion speeds up the metabolism and thus helps in the process of losing excess weight.
Eating onions can help control blood glucose, which is especially important for diabetics and pre-diabetics. The flavonoid antioxidants in onions can contribute to antidiabetic effects.
Onions help maintain the health of hair, skin, and nails.
That’s why my hair is so great. A+ for onions.
It has an immune-stimulatory effect due to the presence of vitamin C in onions. Onions also help to establish better sleep and mood.
This benefit is due to the presence of vitamin B in onions, namely folate, which prevents the formation of excess homocysteine in the body. Onion helps treat asthma and arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Onions are used to treat some skin diseases. For the treatment of prostate in men, it is recommended to consume raw onions daily. For the treatment of heart problems, it is recommended to consume onion tea.
As I promised. Following a few recipes using onion to treat different health conditions.
Table of Contents
Remedy for skin diseases
- Blend one lemon and one chopped onion, after blending add 200 ml of yogurt. Blend well and store the mixture in the refrigerator. It can stand up to 3 days.
To treat chalazion (a red bump) on your eyelid
- Crush one onion, then mix it with apple acid. Put the mixture on gauze, then hold the gauze directly on the chalazion for 5 hours.
For nail diseases and lichen planus
- Mix 8 tablespoons of finely chopped onion with half a liter of vodka/brandy. Store the mixture in a jar, stir and leave for 10 minutes. Use two to three times a day by rubbing directly on the sore spot.
- Chop a few onion rings, then put them on a gauze. Apply the gauze directly to the swelling. Secure the gauze with foil or cloth. Use as needed, until the swelling disappears.
- Chop 6 onions and mix them with 6 tablespoons of honey. Put the pan on steam and stir for a few minutes. Use 1tbsp, 2 – 3 times a day.
For stuffy nose and inflamed sinuses
- Put chopped onion in a bowl and place it next to you while you sleep close to your head. Inhaling this scent can be a little uncomfortable, but the next day you will not have a problem with the sinuses.
- For this recipe you need 400 g of finely chopped onion, mix it with 120ml. of 70% alcohol. Stir the mixture well. Consume 1 tablespoon diluted with water, before a meal, 10 days a month.
Red or white onions for leg pain and to improve circulation
- Make an onion dressing. Chop the onions into rings and place them on your feet. Secure with aluminum foil. Put socks on top.
For the heart, onion tea and honey.
- 2 medium onions,
- 1 liter of water,
- A few leaves of parsley and celery,
- 2 teaspoons of sugar,
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
Procedure: Put the sugar in a saucepan and wait for it to caramelize. Chop the onion into rings and put it in 1 liter of water on the stove. Add the parsley and celery. Boil for about 15 minutes at the lowest temperature. After straining the tea and sweeten it with honey if desired. Consume one small glass several times a day.
And there it is. Grandma’s 9 healing recipes with onions.
The benefits of onions, and the treatments are numerous. Don’t mind the onion smell and go for it.
If you have a more serious condition consult your doctor before using these remedies.