Learn how to prepare calamine lotion with apple cider at your home because this natural remedy is certainly cheaper than the store-bought version. And what’s more important, this lotion will soothe your itchy skin and help relieve pain successfully.
What is Calamine Lotion?
Calamine lotion can be used for a wide range of skin conditions. It is a topical product and we highly recommend you the DIY calamine lotion, because the store-bought version contains harmful chemicals, alcohol, fragrances, and parabens. With the DIY version, there are no risks of allergies.
Benefits of The DIY Calamine Lotion
The DIY calamine lotion is recommended for a wide range of skin conditions and works on common symptoms like redness, itchiness, and inflammation. It also helps with eczema, sunburn and poison ivy rash. It soothes the skin after insect bites, it can be taken on outdoor trips and you can use it to soothe the skin in case of chickenpox.
- One of the main ingredients is bentonite which is popular for its skin healing properties and the ability to soothe the skin.
- Baking soda is doing wonders on inflammation, itchiness, and irritation. It can modify the balance of the skin.
- The lavender essential oil is able to soothe itchy skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sea salt can relieve inflammation and itchiness at the same time. Acts as a highly efficient exfoliator.
- Pink Kaolin clay acts as a gentle exfoliator and can be used to add a beautiful color to the DIY lotion.
- Glycerin can prevent moisture loss and keep the skin hydrated. It is recommended for those with dry skin.
DIY Calamine Lotion
Serves: 1/2 Lotion
- 1 tbsp Bentonite clay
- 1 tbsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- To obtain a lovely texture and color you can add some kaolin clay and glycerin.
NOTE: Avoid using metal objects while preparing the DIY calamine lotion. A reaction can occur between the metal and the ingredients of this recipe which will lower the overall level of efficiency.
- In a large bowl mix the sea salt. apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and bentonite clay.
- Mix everything together after you add water.
- You should obtain a paste and then add the lavender essential oil.
- Incorporate the lavender essential oil into the mixture.
- Store the DIY calamine lotion in a glass jar with a lid.
Usage: You don’t have to worry about side-effects or allergic reaction while using this lotion. Apply as often as it is necessary using your fingers, in a thin or more generous layer. It can be used for several weeks if stored in the fridge.